Experiencing chronic facial and neck pain? Does this come with severe and recurring headaches? You might be suffering from temporomandibular disorder or TMD. Millions of Americans suffer from this too.
Temporomandibular Disorder Treatment at Parrish Orthodontics
Parrish Orthodontics is here to help with TMD. Your temporomandibular joints, or TMJs, connect your lower jawbone to your skull. These joints get a lot of use throughout the day as you speak, chew, swallow, and yawn. Pain in and around these joints can be unpleasant and may even restrict movement.
Symptoms of TMD include:
– Pain in the jaw area
– Pain, ringing, or stuffiness in the ears
– Frequent headaches or neck aches
– Clicking or popping sound when the jaw moves
– Muscle spasms in the jaw area
– A change in the alignment of top and bottom teeth
– Locked jaw or limited opening of the mouth
Many people get TMD without ever having braces. Symptoms usually wax and wane regardless of whether braces are worn. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above and are concerned that you’re a candidate for TMD treatment, please contact Parrish Orthodontics for a consultation.
Not All Jaw Pain Is Due To TMD
Temporomandibular disorder is a not the only cause of jaw pain. While you might feel like you have TMD, it is important to see a dentist and receive an exam to identity the exact cause of your discomfort. There are ways to determine that the cause of the jaw pain is not TMD and there are ways to prevent such discomfort while maintaining a healthy, strong smile and pain-free jaws. These include:
– Relaxing your face and keeping lips together and teeth apart
– Avoid grinding your teeth, perhaps getting a mouth guard if tooth grinding occurs during sleep
– Avoid gum chewing
– Refrain from crading phones between your head and shoulder
– Chew food evenly on both sides of your mouth
– Avoid sitting with your chin rested on your hand
– Maintain good posture with your head up, back straight and shoulders squared
Unhealthy habits such as bad posture and teeth grinding can cause jaw pain without TMD. Maintaining healthy habits as mentioned above will prevent discomfort or the exacerbation of problems that might necessitate treatment.
Parrish Orthodontics provides examinations and treatments for a variety of conditions including temporomandibular disorder or TMD. If you suspect you have TMD, reach out to schedule a consultation with us!